Small paintings from the Inland Northwest and beyond    |  H o m e    |   W e b s i t e

Monday, January 6, 2014

Mandarin Shadows - Day Six 30 in 30

Mandarin Shadows - 5x7 - Oil on Linen Panel

Ever had a really bad painting day? I mean REALLY bad. I tried to paint TWO different landscapes from photos I've had in my file for a while; I should have known better. I think I just saw them as making good paintings, and ignored that nothing was really speaking to me. I've been in a more analytic mode lately, due to rewriting my artist statement and resume and trying to map out long and short term goals. I blame all this typing and planning for getting me out of a more visual mode. At least that's my excuse today. =)

After two failed paintings I needed something simple but beautiful. The mandarin with a leaf fit the ticket! Although at one point the leaf looked great but I had to wipe off and repaint the mandarin itself! BUT I'm so happy I was able to pull through and finish something, I think if I had let myself give up I wouldn't be happy with myself. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment